Filled with protein, antioxidants, and nitrates, this is a great combination of two recipes for two people before hitting the gym, or for a lazy Sunday at home.
The nitrate content in beets has actually been shown to improve athletic performance by reducing oxygen cost during exercise, which makes either whole beets, beet juice or beets mixed in hummus a good addition to the pre-workout routine.
- 2 Beets
- 1 tsp of Tahini
- 1 tsp of crushed Garlic
- Juice of 1 lime or lemon
- 2 cups of Garbanzo beans (or a 15 oz can of low sodium garbanzos)
- 1 cup of tofu, firm
- 1 sprig of Rosemary
- Pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric
- Boil the beets until the skins are easily peeled off (around ten mins)
- Cut the beets up and put in the blender
- Place the garbanzos into a blender or food processor, with tahini, garlic, juice from the lemon and pepper. Blend until spreadable.
- Add the tofu to a heated pan and mash with a fork. Add pepper, rosemary, and turmeric, cook on medium heat for ten minutes.
- Serve with whole grain bread, tortillas or pita and enjoy!